Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Bling in the New Year

This year will soon be over.  Since I have already participated in the last race of 2017, it's time to recap the year in medals.   Let's Bling in the New Year!


The Marathon

My year began with The Big One; the marathon distance.   This was my second Disney Marathon attempt.  I trained hard to earn this medal and to receive a shiny new PR.  Even though I knew from experience the course would measure a half mile too long {argh!} I still shaved over 13 minutes off my best marathon finish time. 




The Half Marathons

Compared to previous years, I ran a very low number of my favorite race distance this year.  I did manage to run five...making my all time half marathon count now 49.  I happily added two new states; Wisconsin and Utah.  All of my half marathons were shared with great friends.  That is what makes these medals even more special! 

My first half was in Door County, Wisconsin.
I shared the 10th anniversary of this race with Wendy.

My 2nd half was in Provo, Utah.  Another 10th anniversary
race, this net down-hiller was shared with a group of Blogger Friends.

The patriotic Soldier Half was on a beautiful fall day in Fort Benning, GA..
I shared my third half with Teresa.

The next half in sunny Florida was way too hot!  But, enjoying
the weekend with my Southern Sole Sisters made it worthwhile.

Back to the coast to meet Tricia for the final half.
The conditions in Biloxi, MS were ideal.

The 12k

I had never run a 12k so The Battleship 12k in Mobile was an automatic PR for me.  I really enjoyed both the distance and the theme of this Veteran's Day race.  It was a perfect way to celebrate the holiday weekend and a bonus to be able to tour the USS Alabama. 






The 10k

This has never been my favorite distance and I only ran one this year.  I happened to be on the coast in April and decided to participate in the local race that weekend.  I was completely humbled by my finish time. But given the fact most people ran the 5k, it was good enough for an age group medal.




The 5ks

I ran a few good 5ks this year, and one really soul-searching awful one.  It is rare to receive a finisher's medal for a 5k around here.  In fact, this may be the only year I ever have.  But, I'm always very appreciative to receive any memento or award.




The Century Rides

These 100 plus mile cycling events were a new experience for me.  In my opinion, riding all day on a bike is definitely worthy of a medal.  Although I didn't receive a medal after completing the Dam Century Ride, I received two for the Glassner Autumn Challenge.  I guess that makes up for it.





Do you have a favorite memento from 2017?

Do you expect a finisher's medal for a 5k?








Thanks to our wonderful hosts: Patty @ My no-guilt life! 
Marcia @ Marcia's Healthy Slice
Erika @ MCM Mama Runs 

31 comments:

  1. Congratulations on all of your races this year!! I love reading about your #holottafun weekends! And you earned some really cool medals :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Although I didn't race nearly as much as I usually do, all of these were run experiences with very nice medals!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on all your races! You did a lot at the beach this year it looks like. In my hometown where I run a lot of 5k since they are small races and no one gets a medal unless you do place in your age group. Luckily I am speedy and usually get one. But I think everyone that signs up for a race should receive at least a finisher's medal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I didn't realize how beachy most of my races were! It feels awkward to me to get a 5k finisher's medal. (I don't display anything from a 5k or 10k anyway.) Maybe if that trend continues, I'll get used to it.

      Delete
  3. We rarely get finisher medals for 5ks around here. Love your trophies. I've never gotten one.

    My favorite medals were probably the Vegas ones.

    So your next half is #50. Mine is #30.

    Congrats on a great running (& biking) year. Maybe we can connect in 2018.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are catching up to me on the half marathons! I need go get busy. LOL. I hope we can connect in 2018 as well. I missed you this year!

      Delete
  4. Loving all your bling from this year - that Disney medal is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it's my favorite since I finally got the marathon time I was after.

      Delete
  5. You have some gorgeous medals and lots of great experiences to show for this year - loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The medals seems extra pretty this year. Perhaps because I was unable to run a many races as I'd like?

      Delete
  6. That's a Ho'lotta bling!!! (Like what I did there?) No seriously, it looks like you had a great year of racing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love what you did there. A well played "HoLotta" is always appreciated! LOL.

      Delete
  7. Getting such a great PR is a good way to start the year. I do have a couple medals from 5k's, but most of them I don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That PR race seems like such a long time ago! I have to remind myself it was this year.

      Delete
  8. We do not see many finisher medals for 5K's around here, either...and I'm alright with that. I respect that a 5K is a challenging distance (no matter how experienced the runner), but I don't think it's a "medal-worthy" distance. That said, my first rally-back race was a 5K...and it came with a sweet (HEAVY) medal from my alma mater...so, it's all good LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a 5k is more challenging to pace than a half. And...they hurt like heck (or at least they do in my case! LOL). So, maybe they should give out finisher medals...

      Delete
    2. I have to agree with Holly here, and I'm hoping you meant participation medal. I think that it is really hard to pace and race a 5k. You go all out but you have to hold back to save something for the finish. I cherish my 2 first place AG medals for the distance--especially having not run a 5k for year!

      Delete
  9. You had a great year and earned some nice medals! I don't expect finishers medals for 5ks, but its always a nice surprise to go home with something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is nice to bring home something. Around here, it would be for an age group award.

      Delete
  10. Congrats on your huge PR at WDW. That's always a hard race because of all the hooplah! I totally enjoyed my 2 races with you this year. I can't wait for 2018 and more fun together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sista. I can't wait to see what shenanigans we get ourselves into in the coming year. It will be epic, I'm sure.

      Delete
  11. So many medals -- what great memories and achievements! It's hard for me to pick a favorite this year. Perfomance-wise, the RW Half probably was the best, but the NYC Half was so memorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to pick a favorite! They are all special in their own way. I really want to run a race in NYC.

      Delete
  12. Congrats on a strong year complete with TWO centuries! Amazing! It was so great to see you in Utah. Who knows where we'll come together again in 2018? I think the only 5k medals I have are RnR races or AG place ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prior to this year, my only 5k medals were for age placement as well. I guess maybe it is trending this way now? I hope we can connect in 2018!

      Delete
  13. You really did have a year of crushing it at every distance! I love how varied your races were and so much fun to meet up with friends everywhere. Here's to happy and healthy running in 2018

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really enjoyed the 12k distance and hope to do more of those. May we all stay healthy in 2018!

      Delete
  14. You have the most epic medal shots. Nice job this year! Hope your 2018 season is healthy, strong and fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks! I'm always looking for a fresh new way to show a medal.

      Delete
  15. Great year lady! And boy did you rack up with the A/G awards ...super impressive! I'm so grateful to have had the opportunity to be a part of your 2017 year in review ...here's to many more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to seeing what we get into in 2018!

      Delete

I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for taking the time to leave one!