Sunday, September 6, 2015

Weekly Wrap #5

http://hohoruns.blogspot.com

Welcome to the Weekly Wrap!


This weekly linkup is hosted by yours truly and my good friend Tricia @ MissSippiPiddlin.  The purpose is to connect with and support other active women.  We want to hear about your weekly adventures.  You are encouraged to include anything you did to be active or anything you considered fun.  Please tell us how you amazing women accomplish it all.  You can summarize your whole week or just a small portion of it.  It's up to you!  See rules here.



We know it's Labor Day,
and that's OK.
So feel free to link up
on Tuesday!

Monday is almost always a rest day, whether I'm training or not.  Transitioning back to work is a workout in itself.  My sister flew home and I always hate to see her leave.  Tuesday I ran 6 miles at an easy recovery pace of 10:20.  There was a beautiful bright moon when I started out and an incredible sunrise a little later.

Wednesday morning, I did not want to get out of bed.  I planned to do between 6-7 miles at race pace, even though there were only 5 on the training plan I don't really follow.  I felt so zapped that the scheduled 5 was all I could do.  My pace was 9:30.  It was all I had.  Heat and humidity really suck the life right out of me and I was just about at my breaking point.

Thursday was an appreciated rest day.  Friday morning, again, I didn't want to get up.  Guess what?  I did!  I always do.  I ran 5 miles at a 10:10 pace.  I still felt exhausted and another step closer to my breaking point.

Saturday was the usual lake day, the one thing I will miss dearly when the weather changes.  We got a very late start and had to dodge storms but I got three runs in.  I'm still experimenting with my GoPro and this time wore it on my head instead of my vest.  When PoPo gave it to me, he included a head strap thinking I would want to run and film a race that way.   Umm....no thanks.  But it came in handy for water skiing.

Here are two very short clips.  Tell me something I say in the first clip and I'll give you a virtual cookie!  I apologize in advance for the foul language in the second clip.  I'm ticked that we had to make a really sharp turn!  But I found it quite funny that I forgot all about the heavy camera on my head!  We ate Mexican on the way home complete with a large Italian Margarita {yes at the Mexican restaurant!}.  Naturally, we watched football when we got home.  Roll Tide Roll.





Well, the day to hit 20 miles in my Chicago Marathon training had finally come.  Honestly, I had been dreading it all week because I was tired and the weather...blech.  I made myself get up Sunday at 5:30.  It was as warm and muggy as predicted.  I ate a small banana and most of a yogurt and headed out.  I decided not to pay much attention to my watch and mentally divided the run into three 7 mile segments for a total of 21 miles.  I was determined to find the positives in this run no matter what happened.  But, I didn't have to search for them because... IT.WAS.GREAT.

The thought of the plunge and a huge cup of coffee were the two things that kept me going!


I am the world's worst about deciding the outcome of something before I do it.  Why do I psych myself out like that?  Every time I turned toward the east, I felt the nicest breeze and that helped so much!  I ate 4 GU Roctanes, took 5 SaltSick capsules, drank 34 ounces of Gatorade Endurance, and drank 34-48 ounces of water.  The last few miles were pretty tough as it was in the mid 80s by that point and I was losing the shade.  No cramps, no chafing, no pain, no nausea = no problem.

I ran 37 miles this week and the dreaded 20+ miler was NO BIG DEAL.  I wish everyone a Happy Labor Day.  We will head back to the lake again {SQUEE} and plan to grill steaks afterwards.  I only hope I have enough energy to put my ski on. 

And that's a wrap!

Tell me something about your week!

What are your Labor Day plans?

And we'd love you to also WRAP IT UP WITH US.


Don't forget about the hop!
It's the last week to include your blog.  
Please join us!
http://hohoruns.blogspot.com/p/fall-into-fitness.html



48 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Awesome job on your 21 miler!! "Awesome spray!" Lol nice blooper video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think that run was more for mental training than anything else. You are correct. That is one thing I say. And that blooper clip just keeps it real. LOL.

      Delete
  2. So glad your 20 miler went great! It's so easy to psych yourself out . . . I'm kind of feeling that way about today's tempo run. Simply because of the weather & I can't get out quite as early as I'd like to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think it is the weather that causes the most stress. I always assume it will be awful and I should learn not to do that.

      Delete
  3. You got to ski and I got to play golf! Fun weekend! Good camera work! That had to be fun with a camera on your head! I can't imagine going out to run a 20 mile training run! AMAZING! Happy labor day- enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skiing always makes for a great weekend. I look like a total goob with that camera on my head! I should have taken a picture. I couldn't imagine 20 either...but it happened. Enjoy your labor day MB and your taper week too!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on nailing that 21 miler! So impressed. I know a lot of people who've recently gotten GoPros. That is really cool. I can see using it while mountain biking. I love the videos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that. My GoPro is an older model with no view finder. The intent was to wear it on your body or mount it on your equipment and thus you would never need one. I guess people complained and they put one on newer models so you can see what is being filmed. It would be awesome to mount on your bike!

      Delete
  5. Way to go on your 21 miler!! You are awesome! I think I psyched myself out on my 7.5 mile run last week but I am making changes to my training schedule so I can stop doing that. Love the videos!! Great mileage this week for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how sweet. Thanks. I read where you changed your plan. I use Hal Higdon (very loosely) for my marathon training -- more or less for a benchmark to see where I am. I guess I'll see how well it worked pretty soon!

      Delete
  6. Chasing storms? Very narrow creek? Love hearing your voice. I'm looking forward to hearing it in person very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I say those things in my very southern drawl. Oh gosh, can you believe Chicago is almost here? I want one more long run and it would be awesome to have cooler weather to work on a little speed. Unfortunately, it will probably happen during taper time.

      Delete
  7. Great job on the long run! Do you start to taper now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. This week will be a cut-back for the long run and then the following week will be my last long run. So taper is about two weeks outl. I wanted to do two 20+ runs for mental training more than anything else.

      Delete
  8. Awesome Long Run! I think we all physic ourselves out before runs sometimes. I've run a gazillion LR's and every time I'm nervous before hand... and 90% of the time they end up fine. Our minds do crazy things. Now enjoy the lake and have a fun Labor Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't know why I assume the worst case. It usually ends up just fine. I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets nervous,

      Delete
  9. Great job getting that long run in! Not a lot of people will dread a 20 miler, decide to break it down into three 7 mile runs, and then go out and run 21 miles total. Awesome! I usually like to take a rest day on Mondays, too, for the same reason. It's kind of my transition day to get back into the swing of the work week and out of weekend mode.

    I made out a lot of what you said in the first video! I heard you say making spray, that you were chasing storms, it was 88 degrees, the creek was skinny, that you're not bad for an old lady, and you were seeing how low you could go. Where's my cookie? :)
    P.S. Made out what you said in the second video, too. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh...here's a whole dozen virtual cookies. You got a lot! My blooper clip was shameful, but I found it so funny how I simply forgot about that camera on my head! Ha. I've always had a hard time on Mondays. You'd think after all these years, I'd figure that out.

      Delete
  10. Congrats on a great 20-miler! It's a nice way to end a tough week too. And I love the picture of you jumping into the pool! I think it would be cool to use a Go Pro in a just-for-fun race since I can imagine it would get old very quickly in a long or hard race. Unfortunately, neither videos would play for me but I'm sure it's because of my iPad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad it went easier than I expected. I may tape a race one day just to see what it is like. It's heavier than you think, especially in it's waterproof case and mount.

      Delete
  11. Don't you just love it when a run comes together like that ? And for a long run ! Those are the best. I did 10 miles on Saturday in perfect running weather. I am being careful not to overtrain and up my mileage too much before "real" training starts. But I wanted to keep on running !

    Jumping into the pool after such a run must have been the best feeling.

    Thanks for the link up ! Happy Labor Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a very good base when I started marathon training, but I did a slow build up anway. I was so scared of getting injured -- and still am. Thinking of the pool and a HUGE cup of coffee got me through the last few miles.

      Delete
  12. Awesome job on that 20 miler! And great job getting out there even when you didnt feel like it. Looks like a fun day on the lake! I think I heard "We're chasing storms today!". Thanks for hosting the link-up; I'll be joining in tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's a lesson learned that you never know what the day will bring and we shouldn't decide beforehand. Yes, I said that so here's your cookie! Please make sure you join tomorrow!

      Delete
  13. Awesome job on your 20 miler!! No better time to jump in the pool! I wish we had a pool here at our apartment....just for the last few days of this heatwave��.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. The weather will change here overnight and I will miss being able to do that. I'll have to just stand hip high in the cold water. Brrrr....

      Delete
  14. Great job getting in your 20 mile run on a hot, humid day. I love that you did a cannonball into the pool to finish up! We used to do a weekly recap of our week, but for some reason haven't done them all summer. As we train for fall marathons, the mileage is growing each week! We ran the rock n roll Virginia Beach race on Sunday as a training run and it was crazy hot and humid. We actually saw a runner getting CPR and 6 were hospitalized....scary stuff! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. I look forward to that plunge every week in the heat. If you start your weekly recap again, please think about joining us. We'd love to have you. I've run some of those really hot races and it is very scary when people fall out.

      Delete
  15. The heat and humidity have been rough here too. I love summer but I am looking forward to the cooler running temps myself. Looks like a hot one again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only bad thing about summer being over is that I lose my precious lake time. But I'm ready for cooler running!

      Delete
  16. Congrats on the good 20 miler! That's huge! I'm so over running in the heat...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad to have it checked off without any drama.

      Delete
  17. Good job on your 20 miler. I worked all weekend, but today my husband came back from a camping trip with my family, We have just been lounging, watching movies, and enjoying our time together! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm sorry you had to work this weekend. I did a lot of lounging over the long weekend too.

      Delete
  18. Yaaaay! Congrats on killing your long run! I was dreading mine too and it went great as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Congrats to you too. We shouldn't do that to ourselves!

      Delete
  19. WOOOOHOOOOOOOO congrats on your 20(21) miler!!!!!!!! The hay is officially in the barn now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It feels pretty good to have the first one done. I plan to do one more and I hope it's just as good.

      Delete
  20. Congrats on that 20 miler! That's awesome that it went so well. I'm horrible about psyching myself out like that too so that's even more impressive that you managed a good run with all the apprehension.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I wasted all that negative energy worrying about nothing. I hope I learned a lesson.

      Delete
  21. Congrats on your long run! It feels so great when a long run goes well. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad to have the first one done. I was glad to have an extra day to chill.

      Delete
  22. As you can tell I'm just now getting caught up lol, Absolutely loved the videos especially the blooper! The Lake is just beautiful it is no wonder you spend your Saturdays here! I'm just tickled to death over your long run this weekend, I can only imagine how you feel. Being able to do it without any problems just says you got this Marathon!!!! Have a great week my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so surprised to find that in my footage. Shame on me! I love being on the lake. This particular one is great for skiing. You can literally ski 20 miles before you need to turn around, unless you are trying to dodge storms. I'm so close now to Chicago, I hope I can stay healthy!!

      Delete
  23. AWWW YEAH!!!! Congratulations and WAY TO GO on nailing your 21-miler!!! I continue to be amazed that you are adding extra miles to your prescribed long run distances. Heaven knows that when I did my 20-miler, I would never have dreamed of doing 21 instead. Rock on!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That extra mile or two is just a mental toughness game I play with myself. LOL. Now I've got to decide what I run next. 22? 23? I've got one more shot at it.

      Delete
  24. Awesome on nailing that long run!! That is HUGE!! I'm so excited, my hubby gave me a GoPro for my birthday! I have yet to figure out how to use it...I'll be working on that ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to give me some GoPro tips. I don't find it's the easiest thing to use but I'm getting better at it.

      Delete

I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for taking the time to leave one!